Saturday, January 14, 2012

Thrifty Fashion Tips from Shaylene Woodley: Saturday, January 14th

Shaylene Woodley is a young actress, who is getting great "buzz" right now about the role she plays in a film with George Clooney, "The Descendants".
She also stars in a popular tv show for teens, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager".  I have only seen this show a few times, but I hate it.  I think it romanticizes teen pregnancy.  Ms. Woodley plays a teen who had a child with another teen during her sophomore year in high school.  In the last episode previews that I saw, the couple are now seniors and at graduation the father of the child proposed to Ms. Woodley's character during graduation.  GIVE ME A BREAK!  We've all seen that at so many graduations that we have attended.  For those of you who are curious, her character said yes, and now they will graduate with high school degrees, live in an adorable apartment (that I probably couldn't even afford in real life), with a beautiful 2 year old son.  A better name for this show might be "Teen Age Fairy Tales".

All right, I'm stepping off my soap box now, and getting to today's money saving tip:

Ms. Woodley was at an award show, and asked what type of fashion she preferred in her everyday life.  She said that she was a "thrift store" junkie.  Practically everything she has in her closet came from a thrift shop.
(I did notice that she made no mention of maternity clothes being in there :)

I have blogged about some of the great finds that my friends and colleagues have found in thrift shops.  It's the thrill of the hunt, finding something expensive and paying $2 for it. 

We have some great thrift shops in Springfield, and franchises like Plato's closet have even made it cool for teens to shop in thrift stores.

Young people love to do/wear what the stars are wearing.  The next time your teen asks for those $100 jeans or shoes, tell them about Shaylene Woodley.  From the movie reviews, she is one that we will be seeing a lot of in the future.

Teach children to save early, and they become lifetime savers.  Many of you have heard the old country song by Barbara Mandrell, "I was Country, when Country wasn't Cool".  Well, I clipped coupons, when coupons weren't cool either.

See you tomorrow, with the Sunday coupon list.
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment